fbpx
× Share your Knowledge!

Debate: Jungle Justice In Nigeria. Is it that bad?

Poll: Is Jungle Justice all that bad?

Jungle Justice Is BAD!
No votes 0%
No! It's OKAY!
No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 0
Only registered users can participate to this poll
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #115 by oyez
First I admit that I may not be able to justify extra-judicial killings, maybe it doesn’t need any justification. Maybe it’s only as bad as we paint it, just maybe.
The social media and in fact the entire media has a way of painting things feeding us with headlines and punch lines that only emphasize what the reporter wants us to perceive about their story. Just a couple of months ago, the NEWS of the capturing of two men who confessed to the killing of one Cynthia Osokogu was in the media, as a usual the social media caught it and people started raining curses on these “evil men”, wishing them quick deaths and dying all over again of all sorts. They were called criminals and people thought that taking them to court was just a total waste of time, maybe because they do not trust the legal systems or maybe because they feel these “criminals” deserve a spontaneous judgment other then the ceremonial court proceedings.
Today, a report came in from Port-Harcourt that three young men, students of the University of Port-Harcourt were caught in a foiled robbery attempt and were brutally beaten and burnt on instant. Sad as this is, barbaric as it sounds; it seems to me like the prayers of some people were answered. But ironically, I see that the majority who were asking for the head of murders of Cynthia are the same ones condemning the quick judgment carried out by the indigenes of Aluu in Rivers State. I’m now at lost as to what people really want.
Though their criticism of this gruesome acts sound genuine, for example, some said; the people who lynched these boys should have handed them over to the police. True, but let’s not forget that as humans we work 70% based on instincts. Instincts that have been formed over a period of them, and as a community, we also have collective instincts which could make us carry out an act collectively out or anger or joy or the need to correct a wrong without stopping to think over it. Call it Mob Action. I’m no psychologist but I know this for sure. If the formal security system has failed and is cannot guarantee the protection of lives and property, people will look for other alternatives, barbaric ones nonetheless.
I remember growing up in the 90’s in one of the most notorious towns in Lagos  Mushin! Daylight robbery was normal; gunshots were more frequent that doorbell rings, rapes went on unheard. It was like the police never existed, I remember they even burnt down the police station at Idi-Oro at some point. Then it was the emergence of the O.P.C (Oodua’s People Congress), our idea of them was men (sometimes women) who were sick and tired of the living in fear forming an outlawed vigilante to combat crimes in the state (even though some of them were ex-criminals). At about the same time, the Bakassi Boys were taking care of the Eastern part of Nigeria.
So what did the OPC do, they worked as vigilantes (without legal approvals), caught criminals and burnt them on the main roads. That of course happens after parading them around town for about 6 hours for the whole world to see, so that other criminals might learn and quit. Barbaric and illegal as their method was, it worked! You there not go to Agege Motor Road, by Baba Olosha Bus-stop and shout “theif! Ole!” even in this scarcity of fuel, people would still provide 50 liters gallon to burn the criminal.
It just seems like our minds are on auto-pilot. People just react spontaneously to these things. Considering what criminals have done to our loved ones, what they are still capable of doing. Raping, strangling and leaving a young lady for dead in a hotel room. Walking up to a lady on her way to church on Sunday morning, hijacking her bag and shooting her in the head, then mounting an okada as a getaway bike, robbing someone off their hard-earned possessions, molesting innocent children, severing people’s body parts for money rituals, scamming people of their money and all other vices in the endless list.
If you or your loved one has been victims before, tell me if you will pause to think of morality at the face of potential criminals who could make you victims again. I think jungle justice is human nature, especially when it’s a collective thing. It’s the human way of saying,
“we all condemn these acts, we don’t have time to wait for the ceremonial garment and wig wearing lawyers and justice to debate what is right or wrong. We all have seen that it is wrong, we have our witnesses and evidence, what more do we need, let’s slay them and send a message to others who might have the same schemes up their sleeves”
However, this does not in anyway mean that jungle justice is totally okay. It’s even sadder if it to be discovered that these men were innocent and wrongly-framed. I would liken it to a case where people, due to religious beliefs, must bury their dead before nightfall. In some cases, the person might not be really dead, maybe in coma. Which means a lot of people might have been buried alive. Now jungle justice doesn’t give a man the opportunity to prove his innocence or at least let him state his reasons for committing a crime. Who knows, his story might help us stop the next victim (victim here is the innocentee who would be killed by jungle justice).
On Nigeria news blogs and social media at large, it’s normal to see people quote scriptures at every given opportunity. In this case, you need no soothsayer to tell you that someone must have quoted; “He who is without sin should be the first to cast a stone” as if Jesus said it is wrong to kill criminals. I notice that this quote is fondly used in jungle justice cases. If that is the case, then there’s no need to take criminals to courts as well and our lawyers are liars and our judges are members of one occult group or the other. I think what Jesus meant had nothing to do with jungle justice but simply how we as individuals judge people. It corresponds with the verse, “with whatsoever meter you use in measuring for people, the same shall be applied to you”

So what's your opinion, do you think Jungle Justice is not as bad as they make it seem?

Gospel Entertainer | Gospel Music | Christian Comedy | Blogs
www.reverbnation.com/oyez
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by oyez.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share on these Platforms
Facebook Comments (Forum)
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds