Read Ecclesiastes 11:1-6
1. Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days.
2. Give a portion to seven, and also to eight; for thou knowest not what evil shall be upon the earth.
3. If the clouds be full of rain, they empty themselves upon the earth: and if the tree fall toward the south, or toward the north, in the place where the tree falleth, there it shall be.
4. He that observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap.
5. As thou knowest not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest not the works of God who maketh all.
6. In the morning sow thy seed, and in the evening withhold not thine hand: for thou knowest not whether shall prosper, either this or that, or whether they both shall be alike good.
MEMORISE: He who observes the wind will not sow, and he who regards the clouds will not reap (Ecclesiastes 11:4)
We are in the age of calamities. Terrorists unleashing their fury on people with impunity. Kidnapping for huge ransom is the order of the day. Armed robbers are terrorising families at night. Fatal accidents on our roads, almost daily. Buildings are collapsing, claiming several lives. In short, we are in the age of uncertainties. However, just because life is uncertain does not mean we should do nothing.
To observe the wind and the clouds is to look at the circumstances around you to determine whether or not you are going to sow; if you don't sow, you cannot reap. Waiting for perfect conditions will mean inactivity. We are in the world where always waiting for the most favourable conditions accomplishes nothing. We need the spirit of trust and adventure to face life's risks and opportunities with God-directed enthusiasm and faith. Conditions will never be ideal in this present age. This practical insight is especially applicable to our spiritual life. If we wait for the favourable time and place for personal Bible reading and witnessing for Christ, we will never start. We must persevere in praying and reading our Bibles, daily. We must live by God's righteous standard, no matter the situations around us.
When contrary winds blow, or it looks like the stormy clouds are gathering, the established believer is not concerned. Instead, he continues to live in faith that the seed he sows will create a harvest of increase in his life. Sensitivity to His leading is non-negotiable: This cannot fail you.
1. Lord Jesus, endow me with the spirit of trust and adventure to face life's risks and opportunities with God-directed enthusiasm and faith.
2. Lord, grant me the grace to persevere in praying and reading Your Word daily.
3. Father, grant all Christians the grace to continue to live in faith and Your righteous standard no matter the situations around them.
EXTRA READING FOR TODAY: 1 Chr. 29, 2 Chr. 1 - 2 & 1 Thess. 2